About IIEE: Honors & Awards
Honors & Awards
- Indexing of Paper of IIEE Students in IEEE Xplore Digital Library
Syed Ali Asad Rizvi, Sham Sunder, Farah Haroon, Ashab Mirza, "Humidity Control with Interactive Web Monitoring: A Cost-Optimal Solution for Printing Industries." In proceedings of the 10th International Conference on Frontiers of Information Technology (FIT), Islamabad, 2012 , pp. 209-214.
IEEE Computer Society
- Indexing of Paper of IIEE Students in Computer and Information Science
Virtual Instrumentation for Control Applications
Authors: Syed Ali Asad Rizvi, Sham Sunder, Farah Haroon and Ashab Mirza
Communications in Computer and Information Science, 2012
Volume 281, pp.397-408,
Springer Link: http://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007%2F978-3-642-28962-0_38
- IIEE VIRTUAL LAB FOR IIEE USB DAQ CARD Two graduating students of IIEE workrd on enhancement of IIEE USB DAQ Card and its application software, and converted it into a useful training tool for engineering students. Following are the names of inventors; (1) Engr. Sameed Tehami (08028), Cell # 0332 3368 992 (IIEE Graduates 2012) (2) Engr. Nasir Aziz Juman (08027) (IIEE Graduates 2012) (3) Engr. Sajid Hussain (Project Supervisor, Chief Instructor IIEE) (4) Engr. Ashab Mirza (Project Supervisor, Principal Instructor IIEE) This group had two tasks to achieve; (I) Improvement in the hardware design (to prepare it for DSP applications), and to; (II) Design and develop Software (named as IIEE Virtual Laboratory - or simply IIEE V-Lab). The software is designed for Data-Acquisition, Data Processing, Data Logging and enabling online signal/data display features, (using IIEE USB DAQ) for conducting Engineering Labs/Projects related to industrial control, measurement and instrumentation. Attached is the one paged flier that gives features of the system design.
- Patents Filed (2010-2011)
- Patent Title: USB Data Acquisition Card Patent Number 140763 Patent Application No. 287 / 2009 dt.: 06-04-2009 Accepted: 01st JUNE 2010 Published in Gazette of Pakistan: 17-11-2010 Names of Inventors (1) Engr. Muzammil Hasan, IIEE Graduate (2) Engr. Muhammad Aafaque, IIEE Graduate (3) Engr. Ovais Iqbal, IIEE Graduate (4) Engr. Adil Ayub, IIEE Graduate (5) Engr. Yousuf Tariq, IIEE Graduate (6) Engr. Ashab Mirza, Principal Instructor, IIEEInstitute of Industrial Electronics Engineering (IIEE), PCSIR, Karachi. Tele Office / Cell Phone: +9221 99 244 218 – 20 Cell (Ashab Mirza) # 0322 2637 339 Email firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com Abstract The aim of this invention is to have a new data acquisition device that is compatible with the USB (Universal Serial Bus) standard. The USB Data Acquisition Card (USB DAQ) is connected to personal computer (PC) through a normal USB cable. The circuit is built on a compact printed circuit board (PCB) and it requires no external power supply. The heart of USB DAQ is a Microchip’s USB microcontroller (IC # PIC18F4550), firmware of which is programmed in C-language. The USB DAQ has eight digital outputs (8-DO), eight digital inputs (8-DI), two pulse-width modulated or PWM outputs (with frequency range of up to 2.9 KHz) and eight high impedance analog inputs (8-AI) with unipolar voltage span (0-5 V). The USB DAQ supports full speed data transfer operation which makes its’ communication speed faster than serial and parallel ports. Owing to high impedance, the analog input signals can be directly connected to the analog input channels without any signal conditioning, if these are within the range of 0–5 Volts. The graphical user interface (GUI) of USB DAQ is developed in LabVIEW and Visual C++ for Windows OS.
- Patent Title: Burner Control & Network Card Patent Number This patent is just filed, and is under process. Patent Application No. 76 / 2011 dt.: 02-02-2011 Names of Inventors (1) Engr. Yasir Abdullah, IIEE Graduate 2010 (2) Engr. Ali Hasnain Yousafani, IIEE Graduate 2010 (3) Engr. Ilyas Baig, IIEE Graduate 2010 (4) Engr. Mohammad Naveed, IIEE Graduate 2010 (5) Engr. Ashab Mirza, Principal Instructor, IIEE (6) Engr. Agha Muhammad Shakir, Senior Instructor, IIEE (7) Dr. Riazuddin Abro, Principal IIEE (8) Engr. Waseem Ahmed, Manager, Peoples Steel Mils, Mangho-Pir, Karachi.Institute of Industrial Electronics Engineering (IIEE), PCSIR, Karachi. Tele Office / Cell Phone: +9221 99 244 218 – 20 Cell (Ashab Mirza) # 0322 2637 339 Email firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com Abstract: Burner controllers for gas firing applications of furnaces & boilers are one of the electronic applications that ensure safe, fault free and optimum operation of gas burners. This invention has provided process industry with a cost efficient yet equally reliable and upgraded design of “Burner Control Cards”. The design described herein accomplishes RS-485 interface for multi-burners applications in addition to the normal features of classical Burner Control Cards i.e. checking of false flame, fault lockout, remote enable, remote reset, handling of flame failure during operation. The invention is also accompanied by a complete protocol definition-proposal & implementation for the stated Burner Control and Network Cards and an HMI to establish communication link between PC and as much as 12 Burner Control Cards of this type. The Burner Control and Network Card discussed herein comprises AVR microcontroller ATmega162 as a key component in contrast with the previous designs that were made up of several discrete components; Therefore increasing the reliability, accuracy and cost efficiency.
- Patents Filed (2009)
- A patent for a "USB Data Acquisition Card" was filed with The Patent Office of IPO, Karachi, having Patent Application Number 287/2009 dated 6th April 2009. After initial assessment of the concerned patent examiners, the Controller of Patents and Designs has issued Acceptance of the Patent Application vide notification letter with SI. No. 140763 dated 01 June 2010.
- IIEE-IEEE Student Branch Official Website again secured Fourth (4th) position in the IEEE International Website Competition 2002 for the IEEE Region 10 (Asia Pacific Region). IIEE Web Development Team, which was responsible for the development of this website, comprised of Adnan Gul Baloch, Ismail Sultan, Khalil Sultan and Zuhaib Hayat of 11th Batch.
- IIEE final-year students group's project "Educational Testing Tool" won third prize in software competition at 4th Annual All Pakistan PROCOM '01, September 28-29, 2001, organized by FAST, Karachi. The students' group, belonging to 9th batch, comprised of Ahmad Shuja Chughtai, Bilal Ahmed, Muhammad Kaleemullah and Kashif Latif.
- IIEE-IEEE Student Branch Official Website secured Fourth (4th) position in the IEEE International Website Competition 2001 for the IEEE Region 10 (Asia Pacific Region). IIEE Web Development Team, which was responsible for the development of this website, comprised of Adnan Gul Baloch, Ismail Sultan, Khalil Sultan and Zuhaib Hayat of 11th Batch.
- PLC-based project "Industrial Mixer" designed by Muhammad Arsalan, Muddassir Ilyas Malik, Muhammad Mansoor and Zafar Masood of 7th batch won the first prize in Millenium Science & Technology Exibition -2000, held at Arts Council of Pakistan, Karachi.
- In the same exhibition, the project "Solar Exploratory Module" presented by Muhammad Arsalan and Muddassir Ilyas Malik, won the third prize.
- IIEE stall was awarded third prize in a projects' exhibition at NED University of Engineering and Technology, Karachi held in 2000.
- IIEE-IEEE Student Branch Official Website secured Third (3rd) position in the IEEE International Website Competition 2000 for the IEEE Region 10 (Asia Pacific and Oceania Region). The Web Team, which was responsible for the development of this website, comprised of Sheraz Khan, Syed Rizwan and Zulfiqar Ai Syed of 9th Batch.
- Syed Salar Hussain Naqvi of 2nd Batch [1990-94] of IIEE was awarded the French Government Scholarship for Post Graduate studies in France.
- The paper "Flexible Broom Balancing - Practical Implementation" by Iram Mahboob was awarded Gold Medal for its 1st Position in the 17th Multi-topic International Symposium of IEEEP (Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers of Pakistan) in April 1999.
- Iram Mehboob of 6th Batch of IIEE secured NUST Scholarship 1999 for MS studies at University of New South Wales (UNSW), Sidney, Australia.
- In Science Fair-1998 Exhibition held at NED University, Karachi and organized by the "Society for the Promotion of Science & Technology" (SENTEC), IIEE project "PC Based Logic Analyzer" designed by Muhammad Arsalan & Habib Ahmed of 7th Batch won the third prize. They designed this project as their 5th semester project.
- Gold Medal was awarded to the paper "Inverted Pendulum", by Waheed Ahmed & Iram Mahboob, for the First Prize in 16th IEEEP All Pakistan Student Seminar, held in MUET Jamshoro, in December 1998. Also Trophy of Excellence for the Fifth Prize was also awarded to a paper by an IIEE student in 16th IEEEP All Pakistan Student Seminar.
- Gold Medal was awarded to a paper by an IIEE student for First Prize in 15th IEEEP All Pakistan Student Seminar, held in NED University of Engineering & Technology, in December 1997.
- IIEE Stall was awarded Best Engineering Student Stall Certificate in HABITAT 1997 held in a local hotel of Karachi.
- Fawad Ahmed of 2nd Batch of IIEE secured NUST Scholarship 1997 for MS studies at University of New South Wales (UNSW), Sidney, Australia.
- IIEE Stall was awarded Best Engineering Student Stall Certificate in HABITAT 1995 held in a local hotel of Karachi.